This acid-like designer drug is becoming increasingly prevalent in Britain's clubs. Know the facts about foxy.
Street Names - Foxy Methoxy, 5-MeO-DIPT, fake ecstasy.
Foxy is a synthetic drug with hallucinogenic properties. It belongs to a group of chemical compounds called tryptamines. This group also includes psilocybin and psilocyn, both of which occur naturally in magic mushrooms. Foxy comes in capsule form, as well as a powder or tablet. In tablet form it is sometimes passed off as ecstasy.
- Foxy is a hallucinogen and often distorts the way users see, hear and perceive their surroundings;
- Effects can include hallucinations and a sense of euphoria. Effects depend on the strength of the drug, the user's mood, their location and surroundings. This means a good trip is not guaranteed;
- Some users may experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea;
- High doses can mean experiencing a similar effect to LSD;
- The effects of Foxy reportedly last 3 - 6 hours, based on a dose of 6-10mg.
- Bad trips can be terrifying, and seem very real. Dizziness, disorientation, fear, paranoia, and panic may arise during a bad trip;
- The likelihood of a bad trip will increase when users are in a bad mood, anxious, nervous, uncomfortable or have a history of mental health issues;
- Foxy can complicate existing psychological issues such as depression, anxiety and schizophrenia;
- With lowered inhibitions, users are at an increased risk of accidents as well as unprotected sexual activity. (It might mean forgetting to use condoms);
- Foxy is relatively new to UK recreational drug culture, and so the long-term risks are not entirely known.
- Foxy and other hallucinogens are Class A drugs;
- It is illegal to supply or possess this drug.
- As foxy is a dose-dependent drug, users are advised to wait until the effects kick in from taking a small amount before they consider taking any more;
- Avoid taking foxy if you're feeling at all unsettled or uncomfortable with your surroundings. It can have a negative impact on any hallucinatory effects;
- Do not mix foxy with alcohol or other drugs.